Friday, January 26, 2007

Giving Blood Using The Alyx System

Last night was an interesting evening. I went to my local Lifesource blood center to give blood. I had an appointment 3 weeks and I have had to reschedule it every week due to a nasty cold. They asked me if I wanted to give blood using Alyx System. I asked what that was. They gave me a rundown:


Blood contains red cells, plasma and platelets. Red blood cells are an absolutely essential component in emergency medical situations and can mean the difference between life and death for trauma victims and those undergoing surgery. Red blood cells are also used to treat people with certain types of cancer and sickle cell anemia. Because red blood cells are so essential, they are also the most needed blood component – with approximately 14 million units transfused every year.


Systems that collect individual blood components have been in use for over 20 years, safely providing millions of doses of platelets and plasma. The new Alyx System specifically collects red blood cells and helps increase the supply of this critically needed blood component.


I asked if it would take longer to do this then just giving whole blood. She said about 15-20 minutes. "No problem", I replied. They hooked me up to the Alyx machine and it was very easy. I would do it again for my next donation.


As promised, here is a picture of the little white dog - Max after his fur was all cut off.


No comments: