Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The Saga of the Little White Dog

Sunday night, my wife Char and I were returning from a friends house. It was a rainy night, about 9:00 pm. We slowly turned into our subdivision from a very busy 50 mph street. Lo and behold what do we see on the street almost getting hit by an SUV is a little white dog. I quickly stoppped the car and yelled to my wife, "quick grab that dog!" Without missing a beat, she leapt from the car, unbuckling her seatbeat in one smooth motion. She ran up to the dog before he could make it to the busy street.

The dog was very friendly, clean and white as snow. Char sat down with him in her lap and we proceeded to our driveway to read the tag on his collar. He did indeed have a collar with a phone number, name and city. Now the city name was of a city that was about 3-4 miles away. It was raining out and this dog was not that wet and dirty to travel that far.

I called the number and received one of those generic answering machine messages... "please leave a message at the tone" the robotic voice suggested. I followed it's advice and left a message that I had found a dog and it's collar had this phone number. I left my cell phone number and asked for a return call. In the meantime, I slowly brought my garbage from the gargage to the curb. Hoping and waiting to see if anyone was trolling the streets looking for a lost dog. After 15 minutes, no one even drove down our street.

No one called that night, or the next morning. I call again and left another message. I then proceeded to notify the local police department and animal control that I had this dog in my possesion and gave them my phone number in the event someone would call and ask about the dog.

I then decided to look the phone number up on the Internet using Google. The phone number was assigned to a Nail Salon, about 20 miles from here. The plot thickens! Char, calls the number again in the afternoon on Monday and gets a live person. He tells Char the dog does not belong to him, but it could have belonged to the previous owners of the salon. He does not know how to get a hold of them and he believes they have since divorced.

So I take the last name and look it up in switchboard.com amd found someone with that last name that lives about 3-4 blocks away from us. I call and leave a message. So far no one has returned my call. Doesn't anyone want this poor little white dog? If it were my dog and it was missing, I would be going crazy!

No comments: